Since 2016, Intelligent Media is an LG WebOS for Signage official partner, being part of a selected group of companies on a global scale.
Our scope is to develop innovative and effective applications with the tools provided by the WebOS platform and the associated LG SoC digital signage monitors.
As mentioned, the WebOS operating system is hosted on SoC infrastructure. SoC (System-On-Chip) digital signage monitors have been developed in order to facilitate the realization of applications for content display, either in a passive or an interactive mode. LG SoC digital signage monitors feature a built-in digital signage player, thus allowing for seamless installation and operation.
The frequent updates and features upgrades provided by LG on a frequent basis, render the platform quite competitive, since every update provides, new, cutting-edge capabilities and performance improvements.
The WebOS for Signage platform can be classified as a Smart Signage platform and is able to offer a multitude of solutions in content display and interactivity. These solutions can be categorized as follows:
- Software: As mentioned above, the platform is web-centric since it uses web technologies such as HTM5 and CSS3 on the frontend, plus Node.js on the backend. Additionally, the platform features its own API, which allows for the manipulation of the monitor’s functionalities plus of the functionalities provided by a variety of peripherals.
- SoC (System on Chip): LG SoC digital signage monitors feature an integrated digital signage player and, thus, they do not require the presence of an external one. This feature reduces the cost of ownership significantly, both in the short and in the long-term, since procurement, installation and maintenance costs are kept to a minimum. The adoption of a SoC monitor may reduce the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) by as much as 20%.
- External triggering interfaces: LG SoC digital signage monitors support the connection of external HID (Hman Interface Devices) devices such as web cameras, thermal printers, barcode scanners, beacons, NFC and RFID readers, plus the connection of a GPIO (General Purpose Input/Output) that can host a variety of sensors (light, pressure, etc). The connection of the monitor with devices such as those mentioned above, allows for the display of passive or interactive content based on events produced by the connected devices. For example, scanning of a product barcode may trigger the display of content relevant to the product. Another example would be the connection of the monitor with a thermometer. If temperature falls outside of certain thresholds, the monitor may automatically display warnings, In general, the interactive content capabilities are only limited by concept and communication needs.
WebOS platform and equipment advantages
- It is an integrated digital signage system, featuring an all-in-one solution, eliminating the need for external players and reducing points-of-failure.
- The only connections you need are a power source and connectivity either via Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
- Easy and cost-effective installation and maintenance.
- Content is displayed seamlessly.
- More than one simultaneous content regions are possible.
- It supports user interactivity through the use of smart devices (e.g. smartphones), of the optional multi-touch frame and of a variety of external triggering sensors that support both user and environmental triggers.
- Content layouts are totally customizable.
A WebOS application is able to support a variety of content ranging from static images to HD video, websites, RSS feeds and dynamic data. It all depends on the application design and there are virtually no constraints.
What is the difference between a WebOS digital signage monitor and a consumer TV?
WebOS monitors are certified for 24/7 operation, whereas consumer TV sets are not certified for this kind of operation. Furthermore, WebOS monitors are certified for portrait installation. If a simple consumer TV is installed in a portrait orientation, its panel and performance will degrade significantly over time. A huge difference lies also in the ability of a WebOS monitor to provide interactive content options that significantly augment customer experience and engagement and fulfill marketing and promotional needs effectively. Last but not least, the WebOS monitor panel features higher brightness and contrast, making your content even more impressive.
Why choose Intelligent Media for your digital signage network?
Intelligent Media is one of a handful of companies that is able to offer end-to-end digital signage solutions. We can thoroughly assess your business needs and propose the digital signage solution that fulfills your business goals. We also provide equipment installation and technical support services. At the next stage, we offer content creation and management services, as well as, development of interactive and dynamic data content applications.
Intelligent Media as a preferred LG WebOS for Signage partner is able to offer integrated services for your digital signage network, regardless of the sector or the complexity of a project.